Lyfe’s Lullabies
"Lost between lullabies and lyrics and living in the lush memories of life, love and lose"

Hayat=Life

Thursday, June 10, 2010

A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier

“Words are my weapons
Words console, comfort and calm me when all else fails me

♥ Sierra Leone son's

"Reminiscent of the novel A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah"



Sierra Leone Sons

How pretty would your diamond engagement ring be?
If it openly wept
A river of crimson red
A drop for each one of my brothers in Sierra Leone
Who died for a chance to have their essence dangling from you well manicured fingers?
Where I am from,
Rape is a proper marriage proposal.


I read A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier written by Ishmael Beah. A book detailing Ishmael's experiences as a boy soldier in his country of origins (Sierra Leone)

My heart still hurts from having lived his ordeal in my mind. How easily that could have been my brother's story in the brutal 1991 civil war that engulfed my country; Somali.

Sadly, this is the story of so many of my other brothers, all born to my beloved mother Africa. Honestly, I can't stop thinking about this book, or the boy who lived through such a horrifying ordeal. I hope you found the peace and forgiveness you desperately searched for Ishmael.

If you have not already read this book, what are you wait for? AMAZING read!

xoxo MzMagan

No comments:

Post a Comment