Lyfe’s Lullabies
"Lost between lullabies and lyrics and living in the lush memories of life, love and lose"

Hayat=Life

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Life Interrupted

“Words are my weapons
Words console, comfort and calm me when all else fails me

♥ Life Interrupted

"Forgotten voices"



Her mind so far gone,
Thoughts of cannibalism
Form out of pure necessity.
Her round buttocks,
And ample ankles,
Once a sign of her beauty
And bounty
Are now just mere scraps.
Bits and pieces
Of a mother’s desperate sacrificial offer
Of a last meal.
A last desperate grasp at life.
To nurture the lifeless infant in her arms.
Latching on to what use to be her nipples.
Her once proud saluting breast,
So far fallen
Like her spirit,
Her people.

Poets,
Artists,
Teachers,
And Dreamers.

Engineers,
Farmers,
Architectures,
And so many damn politicians.

But you’ll never hear her story.
CNN does give you that story.
The only acknowledgement of her kind
Are represented through images of thievery,
Of piracy,
Oh high seas
Once sailing high hopes.
In land forgotten,
Where the blood runs
As abundantly
And just as viciously
As the tide
That claimed the life of her first son,
Her second son
And surely will be back for the third.

Regardless though,
She’s his mother
The only title not yet stripped of her.
For her dignity,
Her pride,
And her body
Have long been
Bargained with
For her ability to still draw breath
And call herself his mother.

So she nurses him
With the last reminding
Drops of her
Blood,
Tears,
And sweat.
And arms him
With loaded load of integrity
And a fist full of hope.
As well as a simple promise
That as long as she’s alive
She will always be his heavy artillery.

But her days are numbered.
His future is grim.
Soon her sweet lullabies
Will be drowned out by sweet sounding grenades.
And her loving arms,
Will be replaced by
By a loving AK 47.
That has the ability
To hug his frail body
Just as tightly as her arms once use to.

And the saddest part of this story is
It is as familiar to me,
As ONCE UPON A TIME is to you.
Although it’s already been told
Time and time again,
In Somali,
In Arabic,
In Oromo,
In Swahili,
In Tigrinya,
In Amharic,
In Kirundi,
In Yoruba,
In Nubian,
In French,
And in English.
It sadly still remains untold
The tall tale
Of a life interrupted.



Copyright © 2010 by Hayat Magan. All Rights Reserved

xoxo
MzMagan

4 comments:

  1. Hayat

    My new found mission inLife Is to get you up on a stage!!! So that you can share these beautiful words that come out of a equally beautiful person. I appreciate having you in my life and I espicially appreciate being able to Call you Family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh thanks Fee. Your sooo sweetie. And insh’allah soon I am gonna be on a stage near you…Stay tuned, lol...Love ya fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello...Im Khalhah, Im new to this whole blogging thing but became rather intrigued with your poetry, I too am a poet and only post poetry on my blog as to what pertains to me and others. Well, How long have you been writing?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Khalhah for showing interest in my written work. And to answer your question, I’ve been dappling here and there for the last 12 years. However, in the last couple years I’ve become serious about my poetry. I have yet to take it beyond the pages of my books though. So this blog is my first formal means of sharing my work with the world. Thanks again for your support.

    ReplyDelete